Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome to my "Muse, no blues" blog

I was recently asked, "What do you want your blog to accomplish?" Here is my reply.
Artists and creative people need to be championed. If someone announces, “I’m going to medical school”, people often reply, “That’s great!” If someone announces, “I’m going to art school”, people often reply, “what are you going to do for money?”
Artists get this kind of insidious invalidation of our goals, hopes and dreams so much, and it gets internalized, so creativity is reduced if not completely suppressed by the artist himself or herself. With my blog, “Muse, no blues”, I want to create the opposite effect on artists and creative people. I want to give them good news, not bad. I want to encourage them, inspire them and put the wind back in their sails. I want to pass onto them any tools and information I find out about that will help them progress, expand and enjoy their creativity – and to enjoy a creative life, not shun it.
I refuse to assert reasons they can’t make it. I want to show them ways they can make it, and should, for the survival of our world. You can not see the doors of opportunity open, or meet your destiny, if don’t believe you have one. Artists are often persuaded that they do not, but instead are persuaded that they should do something more “practical”, be more “realistic” – as if the reality of our lives is not created by our choices. We are not puppets of a capricious god. God, in fact, is more than happy to help. And there are so many dreams to gather – if we don’t let anyone talk us out of reaching for them, if we don’t agree with the naysayers and the haters.
I want to talk artists into reaching for it; I want them to go for it, whatever “it” is by their own definition and standards.

No comments: